Who is the governing agency?
Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation100 West Randolph, 9th Floor
Chicago, IL 60601 320 West Washington, 3rd Floor
Springfield, IL 62786
What are the Administrative Rules governing initial requirements for a Private Alarm Contractor or Locksmith?
A Private Alarm Contractor must complete an application which includes:
- Reference Sheet
- Security Clearance Instruction Sheet
- Application Checklist
- Application for Licensure and/or Examination
- EXAM CT Certification by Licensing Agency/Board
- EXAM ED Certification of Education
- VE-SAC Verification of Employment/Experience
- DE-INS Certification of Insurance
- Certificate of Completion of 20 hours of Basic Training
- Certificate of Completion of 40 hours Fire Arm Training (if applicable)
A Locksmith must complete an application which includes:
- proof of a passing score of 70% or better on the mandated Examination
- Submits his or her fingerprints, in accordance with the provisions of the Act
- Proof of at least $1,000,000 of general liability insurance held by the applicant as evidenced by a certificate of insurance from the insurer
- required fees
- Recent background check
- Every person employed as a registered employee of a locksmith agency certified under the Act shall complete a minimum of 20 hours of training related to the applicant's employment that shall be certified by the employer
For additional and up to date information, always verify your licensing requirements via the States website for updated rules and regulations.
What Elite CEU courses are approved for State credit?
Alarm Level 1 Certification (Level 1: Certified Alarm Technician equivalent)
The Alarm Level 1 Certification was approved as meeting the requirement to fulfill 1 year of the three year mandate of experience as a national certification program under the examination requirements for the private alarm contractor examination in Illinois as referenced in Section 20 of the Illinois Private Detective…Act at www.idfpr.com.
What are the continuing education requirements of the State?
This license will expire on 8/31 every three years.
There are no statewide continuing education requirements at this time.
All Elite CEU license specific coursework is approved by NICET for the renewal of NICET Certifications. To update your NICET Certification, review our Fire Systems Category or Industry Code Category for applicable coursework. Remember, this is not a State specific Certification, and our coursework is approved across State lines. For up to date information and requirements for your Certification renewal, you can visit the NICET website here.
All Elite CEU Inc. courses and Certifications are available for General Education.