Interactive Map: South Dakota

Who is the governing agency?

South Dakota Electrical Commission
Department of Labor & Regulation
308 S. Pierre Street
Pierre, SD 57501

Phone: 800.233.7765 or 605.773.3573
Fax: 605.773.6213


What are the initial requirements for a low voltage license?

Low-Voltage/Limited-Energy License: A statewide license is not required to specifically install Low Voltage systems. However, all persons engaging in any kind of electrical work must be licensed by the state of South Dakota.

While all persons engaging in any kind of electrical work must be licensed by the state of South Dakota, there is no specific specialty licensing set aside for low-voltage or alarm work. Alarm and Communication companies or services, when wiring systems that are classified as power limited class II or III signaling circuits; power limited fire protective signaling circuits, class II or III alarm circuits; or communications circuits or systems as covered by articles 725, 760, 770, 800, 810 and 820 of the NEC are exempt.

All electrical work (including low-voltage) is covered under the following licensing:
Electrical Contractor
Journeyman Electrician
Class B Electrician

Requirements to Obtaining your License

Contractor Electrician

  • Must have one year’s experience working as a licensed journeyman electrician under the supervision of a contracting master electrician.
  • Must have public liability insurance for at least $300,000 and you need to post a $10,000 bond

Journeyman Electrician

  • Shall have four years experience (8000 hours total, maximum 2000 hours per year) registered as an apprentice electrician under the supervision of a contracting master licensed electrician in an area where electrical construction work is done in the jurisdiction regulating similar rules of the state of North Dakota.
  • The person must have the necessary qualifications, training, and technical knowledge to wire, install and repair electrical apparatus and equipment in accordance with the standard rules and regulations of the National Electrical Code.


Class B Electrician

  • Must have public liability insurance for at least $300,000 and you need to post a $10,000 bond
  • Shall have eighteen months’ experience in farmstead or residential wiring under the supervision of a master or class B electrician.
  • Commercial wiring experience will not be credited for experience towards a class B license.
  • Six months’ credit will be granted for a graduate of a two-year electrical school approved by the state electrical board.


For additional and up to date information, always verify your licensing requirements via the States website.


What are the continuing education requirements of the State?

The South Dakota Electrical Commission plans to move forward with renewal and the continuing education requirements without change. Licensees are required to attain 16 hours of continuing education by the time of renewal or by June 30, whichever is sooner. A minimum of eight hours are required to be on the National Electric Code. In addition, only eight hours are allowed to be pre-approved correspondence or interactive online courses. Licensees are required to remit the certificate of completion to the Commission office once an online class has been completed.

PLEASE NOTE, due to the limitations on in-person events due to COVID-19 and the uncertainty it may cause over the next few months, the Commission will allow all continuing education hours to be gained online for the 2022 renewal cycle.

Renewal Form now available. The Commission does not intend to mail renewal forms to licensees this year. Licensees will be required to access the website to access the renewal form. There are two versions available, one that is fillable electronically and one that is nonfillable. In either case, you will still need mail, fax or email completed forms to the Commission office. Licensees will have the option to pay with a credit/debit card, check or money order. Note: Do not send cash through the mail.

Renewal Form — Fillable. You must download to your computer and open with a PDF program before filling it out electronically. If you open in a browser and fill out, changes will not save. Mail, fax or email completed form.

Renewal Form — Non-Fillable. Print first then fill out. Mail, fax or email completed form.

Renewal applications utilizing money order or checks are required to be remitted with the application and mailed to:

South Dakota Electrical Commission
308 S. Pierre St.
Pierre SD 57501

Renewal applications utilizing credit card information may be mailed to address above, emailed or faxed to 605.773.6213.

2020 Code Adoption with Exceptions Takes Effect July 1, 2020

The four new exceptions to NEC 2020 are summarized as follows:
1. 210.8(F) GFCI for AC units
2. 230.67 Surge protection
3. 210.8(A) GFCI for 250 Volt (Guidance: reverts to 2017 verbiage)
4. 406.9(C) Bathroom GFCI (Guidance: reverts to 2017 verbiage)

View Adopted Code with Exceptions

What Elite CEU courses are approved for credit?

Courses are being reviewed by the State.


Please note the Commission is no longer keeping track of your continuing education hours. Licensees are required to retain their copies of certificates of completion. The licensee will check the box on the renewal form stating they have attained the required continuing education to renew. Any licensee may be selected for an audit in the future. Failure to provide the appropriate documentation during the audit may result in disciplinary action. (Disciplinary action includes a fine; suspension, revocation, refusal to issue a license; or limit the scope of practice.) Starting with the biannual ending 6/30/2022 the commission will request the certificates be submitted when a licensee applies for the next level of licensure(you are not required to submit with renewal form). So, keep your certificates ladies and gentlemen. Documentation prior to the 6/30/22 biannual will be kept on file at the Commission (classes remitted to the commission and taken prior to 6/30/20). A licensee will be required to submit 3 renewal cycles of continuing education for an audit and all the continuing education earned during their supervised experience utilized when applying for the next level of licensure. Please do not contact the Commission inquiring on how many education hours you have or how to submit certificates.


All Elite CEU license specific coursework is approved by NICET for the renewal of NICET Certifications. To update your NICET Certification, review our Fire Systems Category or Industry Code Category for applicable coursework. Remember, this is not a State specific Certification, and our coursework is approved across State lines. For up to date information and requirements for your Certification renewal, you can visit the NICET website here.


All Elite CEU, Inc. courses and Certifications are also available for General Education.