Interactive Map: Washington

Who is the governing agency?

Washington State Dpt. of Labor and Industries


Washington State Department of Labor and Industries
Electrical Section
P.O. Box 44460
Olympia, WA 98501
Chief Electrical Inspector: (360) 902-5249
Fax (360) 902-5229

Licensing and General Information
General Info: (360) 902-5249
Fax (360) 902-5296
Supervisor: (360) 902-6278


What are the initial requirements for a low voltage license?

You must have a valid Washington State electrical certificate or license to do electrical work in Washington State. Electrical work has a broad definition and covers a wide range of electrical activities.


Apply for an Electrical Trainees’ Certificate

What you have to do:

  1. Make sure you meet the minimum age requirements for working on a construction site. You must be 16 years or older. (Contact Employment Standards for more information regarding minors working on construction sites).
  2. Register with the Apprenticeship program if you are enrolled in a formal apprenticeship program. You can contact them at Apprenticeship.
  3. Contact the Electrical program before submitting a new application if you have ever had a trainee certificate before.
  4. Be prepared to pay the application fee ($36.40 if applying online or $42.30 if applying in person or by mail).
    Note: Fees are nonrefundable after certificate has been issued. Refund requests must be made in writing to L&I before the certificate is issued. Mail to L&I Electrical Program, P.O. Box 44460, Olympia, Washington 98504-4460.

What are the educational requirements of the State?

Continuing education requirements for renewal:

If you are an Electrical Administrator, Master Electrician or Electrician, you are required to complete 24 hours of continuing education course work in the three (3) years between your certification renewals:

  • 8 hours of your CEUs must be on currently adopted National Electrical Code changes.
  • 4 hours must be on currently adopted Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 19.28 and related Washington Administrative Codes (WAC).
  • The remaining 12 hours of continuing education credit can be your choice from the States list of approved courses.


All Elite CEU, Inc. courses and Certifications are also available for General Education.

All Elite CEU license specific coursework is approved by NICET for the renewal of NICET Certifications. To update your NICET Certification, review our Fire Systems Category or Industry Code Category for applicable coursework. Remember, this is not a State specific Certification, and our coursework is approved across State lines. For up to date information and requirements for your Certification renewal, you can visit the NICET website here.